February 16, 2012

Becoming a Maneki Neko

My recent silence here has not, sadly, been due to throwing myself wholeheartedly into editing my novel. Far from it. A few hours after my last post, I threw myself bone-breakingly down onto the snow- and -ice-covered sidewalk. And broke my wrist.

OUCH.

Anyway, since revisiting the pain increases the throbbing in my wrist, I will skip most of the details! But the upshot is that I now have an extension of a few weeks on my editing deadline -- a lucky thing since one-handed typing is not my forte and even starts to hurt my good hand after awhile. But this wasn't meant to be a catalogue of my woes (which, let's face it, in the grand scheme of things, are not so overwhelming). Actually, I wanted to share the one thing about my broken wrist that makes me laugh -- I feel like a Maneki Neko.




You know those Japanese lucky cats? If the left hand is up, it is supposedly beckoning customers. (The right hand up is for prosperity...though, presumably, so is the left....)










Due to the nature of my fracture, my arm has been casted with my left hand bent forward and to the left. And since I'm supposed to keep it elevated, I often prop it up in this position when I don't have it immobilized on a towering pile of cushions.



Come in, dear customer!

I'm feeling a little better on a day-to-day basis. With any luck, I'll be back to writing soon. At any rate, my new phobia of another sidewalk slip helps with the all-too-necessary writerly condition of being a shut-in.




Come in, inspiration!

No comments: